I just want to remind all Assiduous Readers about the next seminar in the the series on the theory and practice of preferred share investing.
These seminars are aimed at active and potential preferred share investors who wish to review relative valuation techniques in preferred share analysis.
Questions are encouraged throughout the seminars, as well as in informal discussion at the end of the session.
Each seminar is two hours in length; coffee and tea will be served. The cost of attendance is $100, but a discount of $50 will be given to participants who have an annual subscription to PrefLetter with at least one issue remaining at the time of the seminar.
All seminars will be video-recorded for future distribution.
Thursday, April 30
Floating Rate Issues: Theory & Practice
"Floating Rate Issues" are popular with investors who:
- wish to obtain tax-advantaged income
- want protection against future inflation
These issues are characterized by:
- Issued by Operating companies
- Extant issues are non-financial
- Dividends are paid by reference to Canada Prime
- An exchange option may exist to lock in a rate for five years on a given date
- Issues are Perpetual
This seminar will review the theory of Floating Rate Preferred evaluation, including:
- Credit Quality
- Embedded calls
- Exchange Options
- The importance of ex-Dividend dates
- Investment characteristics relative to
- money market instruments
- other perpetual instruments
Examples of relative valuation in current markets will be supplied and discussed. Note that Floating Rate issues include the HIMIPref™ Indices:
. "FixedReset" issues will not be discussed as part of this seminar.
Attendence is limited; a reservation will avoid disappointment.
Time: April 30, 2009, 6pm-8pm.
Reservations: Please visit the PrefLetter Seminar Page.